- Posted by:
- Category: Coworking Industry
YPSILANTI, MI – A new shared office space with a nap room and locally roasted coffee is looking to give small business activity a boost in downtown Ypsilanti.
The Back Office Studio, 13 N. Washington St. in Ypsilanti, which opened in December 2018, has four conference rooms, four private offices, two phone booths, 30 desks, a desk with a treadmill and a room for napping in a 9,000-square-foot exposed brick facility that serves Hyperion Coffee.
Owners Diana Wong, Wayne Millette and Sun Chao, along with manager John Newman, worked with Ann Arbor SPARK East, a business development and entrepreneurial service group, to decide on the Ypsilanti space, Newman said.
“We wanted to be part of the revitalization that seems so evident to us,” Newman said. “We wanted to help people do their work here.”
About 20 members have joined the office space so far, Newman said.
The group spent more than $1 million on renovating the space, formerly the Pub 13 bar.
“One of the things that has sort of happened over the last 20 years is people are working at home more … there’s this sense of isolation,” Newman said. “Even going to a coffee shop, you’re still alone. Coworking is a good alternative to that.”
In addition to offering work and event space to members, The Back Office Studio looks to help connect businesses to each other for services like finance, web design or networking, Newman said.
Membership types are listed below:
- Drop-in: $20 a day, includes access to any open desk during business hours, standard amenities.
- Virtual: $35 a month, includes access to cafe seating during business hours, mailing address, standard amenities. Conference room space costs extra.
- Punch card: $125 for 10 day-passes, includes desk access during business hours, four hours of conference room use, standard amenities.
- Hot desk: $225 a month, 24/7 access, open desk, mailing address, eight hours of conference room use, standard amenities.
- Dedicated desk: $275, 24/7 access, dedicated desk in open area, mailing address, 12 hours of conference room use, standard amenities.
- Single office: $750, 24/7 access, dedicated office, mailing address, 12 hours of conference room use, standard amenities.
More here on membership details.